MODALS IN THE PAST FORM

Guys, about this material, i don't want to "Banyak Omong". Wkwk.... Because i (sedikit) don't understand about this material too. So, i hope u can enjoy with this material. You can copy & paste this material for your learning media. And for the last, "CHECK IT OUT". LOL....

Modals

present
Past

can
could

will
would

shall
should

may
might



1. Could + Verb base

ô to offer suggestions or possibilities

Example:

Patrick : Oh, no! I left my shorts.

Spongebob : Don’t worry, Patrick. You could borrow my shorts.

Asmi : I’m having trouble with English.

Randah : Why don’t you ask Agnes? Perhaps she could help you.



ô to indicate that the ability existed in the past but doesn’t exist now.

Example:

Tasya : Ras, can you climb the durian tree?

Rasya : Well… I could climb durian tree when I was so young.

But I think I’m too heavy to climb it.



Mia : Grandpa, what could you do when you were younger?

Grandpa : When I was younger, I could swim across the big river

very well and faster.



ô to express polite requests

Example: Could I borrow your pencil (please)?

Could you lend me your jacket now?

Could you please close the door?

Could you pass the salt?



2. Would + Verb base

ô for an action that was repeated regularly in the past

Example:

When I was a child, I would visit my grandparents every weekend.

On Sundays, when I was a child, we would all get up early and go fishing.



ô insert rather into the pattern and use this expression to express preferences

Example:

Justin : What would you rather do in the weekend, go to the party or stay home?

Eminem : I would rather go to the party than stay home.


Angel : Which country would you rather visit?

Maria : I would rather visit Italia than Somalia.



ô to express polite requests

Example:

Andi : Would you mind cycling with me, Kala?

Kala : No, not at all. It would be nice.



Mikola : Would you please pass the helmet, Bella?

Bella : No problem


3. Should + Verb base

ô to give definite advice (advisability)

Example:

Bunda : Putri, you should study tonight.

You will have English test tomorrow, won’t you?

Putri : I will, Bunda.




Debby : You should paint your door, Bobby. It looks terrible.

Bobby : Yes, I know I should.



ô to express the subject’s obligation or duty

Example: You should practice for more than an hour. (to musical friend)

They shouldn’t allow parking here; the street is too narrow.

Application should be sent before March 25th.


4. Might + Verb base

ô to tell possibilities

Example:

David : Where is Deddy?

Copperfield : He might be in the studio with Kalina.



ô To express polite requests

Example:

Tian : Might I borrow your coat?

Ringgo : I’m afraid not. It has been brought by Donny for weeks and

I don’t know when he’ll return it.